Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tooth Fairy Pillow Tutorial

We have been awaiting the loss of Miss AJ’s first tooth for a couple of weeks now.

I first saw this pillow on The Idea Room.  I can’t take credit for its crafty cuteness! Nor could I resist making one for our house to enjoy…

DSCN1412

Items needed:

  • white fabric (about 20 inches, 45 inches wide)
  • black embroidery floss
  • white thread and sewing machine
  • tooth pattern (I drew my own)
  • pillow batting
  • velcro or button (if you want the flap to close securely)
  • red crayon

Here’s what I did…

  1. Trace tooth pattern onto white fabric and cut out 2 “teeth”.
  2. Cut out 1 pocket and 1 flap from remaining fabric.
  3. Sew pocket and flap onto one of the “teeth”. Add velcro or button at this time.
  4. On the other “tooth” embroider the face using the backstitch (for the mouth) and French knots (for the eyes) then lightly color some cheeks with the red crayon.DSCN1367 DSCN1368
  5. Put right sides of the 2 “teeth” together and sew together, leaving an opening about 1-2 inches wide so you can stuff the pillow. Turn inside out.
  6. Stuff the pillow to the desired fluffiness.  The kids loved doing this part.  I used a long handled spoon to help get the stuffing down into the “roots” of the “teeth”.DSCN1371 DSCN1372
  7. Sew opening shut by hand.
  8. Snuggle and wait for Tooth Fairy!

 

Also posted on You Know, For Kids…

2 comments:

christi said...

That is such a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing it.

wxplowmans said...

That is so cute! We are also waiting for Jenna's first tooth to arrive. Maybe I can fit that in with all my projects.